I am the topic of some recent gossip and I don't know whether to be offended or flattered.
It's not something I want to publicize, but in the past few months, I have gone through two very life-changing events. I shared the news with only a small group of friends. Well, there was a leak in my watertight ship and the news floated away. But it wasn't lost at sea like the proverbial message in a bottle. Instead, the life raft found its way to several islands that have high-tech communication systems. Oh, yes, the phone calls, texts, and instant messages were flying!
Did you hear? Did you know? Apparently, it's pretty important to be the first person to know something. I never learned that so I guess I wasn't paying attention in gossip class in high school.
My BFF-MG told me I have to suck it up because I am a pretty hot piece of gossip right now. And, I agree. I would probably share this news with her if I got it from someone else! But, here's why I'm offended....
The women who are gossiping are the type that claim to be friends. They tell the BFFs - "oh, she's been so distant" or "oh, I hope she's okay." If you cared so friggin' much, why wouldn't you pick up the phone and call me and check in instead of another person to share the info? I don't get that. Not that I want to share any of my private life with some of these women, but I just can't stand phony people who act (to others) that they're so caring and thoughtful, but then really do nothing but think of themselves.
For now, I'll stick with being flattered. It's not too often that my life is so interesting that it causes fingers to fly on the phone buttons, so I'll roll with it.
Go ahead and gossip. It's okay. It's natural and most people just love it. Remember Olympia Dukakis in Steel Magnolias? "If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit by me."
Sunday, December 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment