Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Changing my stripes

Why is it that people decide to change their lives when they're facing milestones? I vowed to myself that I would quit smoking when I was 30, and then when I was 35. I finally did at 37, but who's counting? My dad says he'll try meat again once he's reached his 35th year of being a vegetarian. I guess we'll see in 2010. My BFF ran a 5K when she turned 40. I'm not sure if it was the age thing or something else, but she did it. Some people grow their hair. Some people cut their hair. Some people diet or get healthy while others just give in to their addictions. There's something about these milestones, these anniversaries that we've been led to believe are important. Why? I decided to change my life today. No particular reason. It's a Wednesday. My birthday isn't until January. Nothing special is happening. I think I'm making tacos for dinner. So, why today? I don't know. I did find out yesterday that a great friend from college has a brain tumor. He's three days younger than me and I know we are going to hang out in 475 days to celebrate that fact. But, changing me won't help him. Maybe it's because I haven't been happy with myself in a long, long time. Maybe it's because I want my kids to be proud of me and admire me and the example I set. I think it's mostly because I miss the person I used to be. So, I decided on this Wednesday in the middle of October that I want to find her again. And, if you're reading this, say a little prayer that I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment