Saturday, November 14, 2009

Growing Up

I just re-connected with an old college friend who I thought was like THE coolest guy that ever walked the planet. Turns out, he's still that guy. You know - smart, funny, handsome, talented - he's just got the world on a string. Probably dates some former supermodel who gave up all the money and fame to become a doctor and cure a rare disease in Uganda.

Anyway, he said something about having a Peter Pan complex and just never wanting to grow up and it got me thinking. Maybe he's not scared of growing up. Maybe he's scared of growing old. When you think about it, he could be having a mid-life crisis right now. He could have been married and just left his wife for some 25-year-old skank who loves Prada and chocolate martinis. He could be driving a Corvette and doing the combover with his hair! Instead, he's out there parasailing and skiing and running marathons and saving the world from bad guys.

When I look at the range of friends I have, it amazes me that some of them are nearing 40 and have never been married or started a family while others have kids in high school!

What would I do if I wanted to have more kids? Could I stand if if one day at pre-school someone said "Oh look Timmy, your grandmother is here!"

Oh, he also told me 40 is the new 30, so I'm keeping him on speed dial for when I need moral support!

No comments:

Post a Comment