Thursday, November 19, 2009

When I grow up

Several months ago, my moms group took a tour at AC Moore, a craft store. During the event, the moderator gave the kids paper and crayons and had them draw pictures of what they wanted to be when they grew up. So, I was just sitting there and figured I would color a picture too. I drew a very silly picture of a woman lying in a lounge chair on a beach, book resting on her lap and cocktail in hand. Because that is what I want to be when I grow up - retired, comfortable, happy, relaxed.

We went back for another tour recently with Girl Scouts - same teacher, same lesson. But this woman, who is fantastic at her job and always seems in a good mood, told the girls that sometimes she has bad days. And when she's feeling down, she said, she opens a file cabinet and looks at a picture that really lifts her spirits.

When she opened the door, there was my picture - the one of the lounging lady. I laughed. How great is it that something I did in my normal clown-like, wiseacre way, made someone happy?

Now, if only I could keep that picture in my head and in my heart - I hope one day to be that lady of leisure.

No comments:

Post a Comment