Thursday, November 26, 2009

The new 30?

A friend told me recently that 40 is the new 30.

Honestly, who makes this stuff up? These terms that are supposed to define who we are? I'm sure it's the same people that have just entered that specific age bracket and want to pretend they're still young.

I'm sure someone once told me that 30 is the new 20. You know, when I was in my 20s, I was a jerk. I made some of the worst decisions of my life. There were so many mistakes, so much bad behavior. I shudder just thinking about it. I've got to say that I loved being 30. I didn't mind being 35 or 36 or even 37. But, now 38 is fading fast and 39 will be here in January. And here I am laughing at friends who feel old when they turn 31!

My dad today shared some old videos with us from when my little sister was a toddler and I was in high school. What a dork! Of course, at the time I was cool (and that's not just my opinion, that's a fact darn it). Now that I look back at it, I laugh and feel kind of embarrassed. I wonder, when I'm 60, if I'll think the same thing about myself as I am now. When you're young, you want to grow up so fast. You think being a certain age will be perfect. But you never reach that age, because no matter where you are in life, it's hard to be satisfied. It's hard not to wonder about being somewhere (or some age) different.

So, the countdown to 2011 continues. And for all of you who might have videotape of me being a dork, please burn it!

1 comment:

  1. I have a video of you being a dork and I'm saving it for your 60th party.
    I know, I'm an awesome friend.

    ReplyDelete